Tuesday, October 11, 2005
I'm gonna actually try posting with some type of frequency, although it'll be tougher now that there's less to write about.
Thoughts on the ALDS: I would like to say the better team won (I could say that last year), but i can't. It's quite possible (and probable) that the Angels are a better team than the Yankees, but combined with the weather and the short series, and an umpiring crew that was sketchy at best and affected both teams, (Joe West and Gary Darling? For a playoff series?) I can't. I think that the playoffs should have five teams in each league, with 2 wild cards. Before the DS, the 2 wild card teams will play each other in a best of 3, with the number 4 seed hosting all 3 games. Then, the DS will be extended to best of 7. I don't like the idea of a team winning with just 3 games. Can you imagine a best of 5 between the Red Sox and Yankees? It would basically be a coin flip. Besides, playoff baseball gets spectacular ratings compared to the regular season.
In the actual series, hats off to the Angels for winning despite lackluster performances (for whatever reason) from Bartolo Colon and Paul Byrd and completely missing Jarrod Washburn, as well as being neutralized on the basepaths and getting 0 RBI from Vlad. A-Rod is probably the most to blame out of anyone, since he had the error in game 2 and the double-play in the 9th (had he only struck out, Robbie Cano would be up with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 2 out. A single would have tied the game. Randy Johnson atoned for his atrocious game 3 performance (he's pitched his whole career in domed stadiums, so he probably isn't the guy you want on the mound when it's raining like crazy) with 4 1/3 great innings out of the pen on 2 days rest. However, if the Yankees had gotten the performance they should have from Johnson, they would have won in 4, so he's not completely forgiven. As Dodgers fans would say, there's always next year.
I'll post later with some thoughts on the offseason.
Thoughts on the ALDS: I would like to say the better team won (I could say that last year), but i can't. It's quite possible (and probable) that the Angels are a better team than the Yankees, but combined with the weather and the short series, and an umpiring crew that was sketchy at best and affected both teams, (Joe West and Gary Darling? For a playoff series?) I can't. I think that the playoffs should have five teams in each league, with 2 wild cards. Before the DS, the 2 wild card teams will play each other in a best of 3, with the number 4 seed hosting all 3 games. Then, the DS will be extended to best of 7. I don't like the idea of a team winning with just 3 games. Can you imagine a best of 5 between the Red Sox and Yankees? It would basically be a coin flip. Besides, playoff baseball gets spectacular ratings compared to the regular season.
In the actual series, hats off to the Angels for winning despite lackluster performances (for whatever reason) from Bartolo Colon and Paul Byrd and completely missing Jarrod Washburn, as well as being neutralized on the basepaths and getting 0 RBI from Vlad. A-Rod is probably the most to blame out of anyone, since he had the error in game 2 and the double-play in the 9th (had he only struck out, Robbie Cano would be up with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 2 out. A single would have tied the game. Randy Johnson atoned for his atrocious game 3 performance (he's pitched his whole career in domed stadiums, so he probably isn't the guy you want on the mound when it's raining like crazy) with 4 1/3 great innings out of the pen on 2 days rest. However, if the Yankees had gotten the performance they should have from Johnson, they would have won in 4, so he's not completely forgiven. As Dodgers fans would say, there's always next year.
I'll post later with some thoughts on the offseason.